Just notes so I don't forget stuff. Feedback to Twitter please.
I had the problem as described
VMware Remote Console 11. - connection error, but that
was for Windows. On Windows, the post says, the preferences file is
But after a bit of poking around, on my MacOS Cataline systems the configuration file was at:
/Users/user/Library/Containers/com.vmware.vmrc/Data/Library/Preferences/VMware Remote Console/preferences
Adding the line
pref.preferWebMKS = "FALSE" to the bottom of the file made things work for me.
My instance of Windows 10 on Oracle's VirtualBox had been starating to lag, plus all I mostly use it for is to modify Active Directory groups. The University got VMware, so I might as well use it. In the course getting it to work I discovered Microsoft now provides an OpenSSH server, and command line tools modify Active Directory. Here are the steps I took to get this to work.
Add a featurethe following needed to be done.*
gpedit.execommand, and navigate to Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > All Settings > Specify settings for optional component instalation and component repair, and double click. Enable it, I ended up also checking
Download repair content and optional features directly from Windows Update instead of Windows Server Update Services (WSUS).
Optional featuresshould work.
%programdata%\ssh\sshd_configfile, for me %programdata% turned out to be
C:\ProgramDatabut I assume that is not always so. I limited wich groups can login with the
AllowGroupsdirective, to get a list of groups you are in you can do whoami /GROUPS command.
Even with load printers = no in my
/etc/samba/smb.conf I was still getting
Unable to connect to CUPS server localhost:631 - Connection refused in my logs. To get rid of these I added:
load printers = no printing = bsd printcap name = /dev/null disable spoolss = yes
to the [global] section. No more messages.
Downloaded RStudio from
https://www.rstudio.com/products/rstudio/download-server/ and installed it on a fresh CentOS 7 system and logging in didn't work.
rstudio-server verify-installation reported no errors. Well it seem to be PAM fault.
In the end I copied
/etc/pam.d/sshd over to
/etc/pam.d/rstudio and all worked in the end. I did reädd:
auth requisite pam_succeed_if.so uid >= 500 quiet
To the top of the file, but all now seems to work well.
I use VirtualBox for testing all the time, and reinstall virtual systems on it ofter, during Cobbler testing many time a day! There in lies the issue with the ever changing
sshd(8) host keys, ever editing your
~/.ssh/known_hosts file. But fear on, simply add:
Host host-with-ever-changing-key-here StrictHostKeyChecking no UserKnownHostsFile /dev/null
~/.ssh/config file and it will never bother you again, somebody might be spying on you, but that is as different issue.
At a users request, I yum install vim-X11 xorg-x11-xauth on a headless CentOS 6.7 server, then ssh -X into the server and:
gvimE665: Cannot start GUI, no valid font foundE852: The child process failed to start the GUI
DuckDuckGoing (and later Googling) the error has me trying all sorts of weird
set guifont=… all to no avail. GNU
emacs(1) works fine! Finally, to get it to work: yum groupinstall "Legacy X Window System compatibility" and all worked. Hopefully some search engine will find this and save others some time.
emacs provided with CentOS 7 seems to depend on the fonts
gvim-X11 should also depend on, so there simply
yum istall vim-X11 xorg-x11-xauth emacs should do the trick.
svnserve(8)on CentOS 7 with Encryped Passwords
I temporarally disabled SELinux with the
setenforce(8) command, I hope to revisit this issue later but as I'm only testing I don't deal with it here.
This location can be changed in the
/etc/sysconfig/svnserve file. The default settings seem to store repos as the
cd /var/svn; svnadmin create buggles
This is where buggles is the name of your repo. You can put more this one repo in the
/var/svn diroctory, each gets configured separately.
/var/svn/buggles/config/svnserve.confto have the following section:
[sasl] use-sasl = true
You might want to comment out the
password-db option too.
realmoption to have no spaces.
/etc/sasl2/svn.conffile that looks like.†
pwcheck_method: auxprop auxprop_plugin: sasldb sasldb_path: /etc/subversion/sasldb mech_list: DIGEST-MD5
saslpasswd2 -c -f /etc/subversion/sasldb -u realm sven
Where realm is the realm entered in the
svnserve.conf file and sven is the username. It will propt you for a password.
systemctl start svnserve
And it should work.